Érsekcsanád is located at the south-western part of Bács-Kiskun County. The village is neat, all the streets are asphalt-topped and the public places are decorated with trees and flower-beds. The electric, water and gas supply, the telephone and cable TV network have already been built up. The establishment of the sewage system is in progress. Our guests have the possibility of using the playground, beach, volleyball court and are welcomed to take part in the open-air events and festivals in the 10-acre leisure park.
The village is located near the main road No. 51, 93,83 mi south to Budapest and 6,21 mi north to Baja.
The geographical coordinates of the village:
Northern latitude 46 ° 15 ' Eastern longitude 18 ° 59'
The area of the village is 14 482 acres, of which 627 acres are downtown.
The number of population is nearly three thousand people.
The history of Érsekcsanád:
Csanád village was first mentioned in a charter in 1391 as property of the archbishopric of Kalocsa. At the beginning of the 15th century Pipó Ozorai was the proprietor of the village, after his death in 1427 it was returned to the archbishopric. The village people depended on flood-plain husbandry until the end of the 18th century. According to the traditions of Sárköz they fished, raised cows and horses on wet grasslands and fattened up pigs by oak-masting in the oak forests alongside the river Danube.
During the Turkish reign the settlement was not completely depopulated and it was always mentioned as a populated area in the tax surveying documents. Around of the beginning of the 17th century the people of the village turned Protestant and had a minister in 1628.
By the end of the Turkish reign the population reduced but it increased continuously in the 18th century. In 1784, at the time of the first census in Hungary, 1222 people lived in Csanád.
According to the ordinance of the archbishop of Kalocsa and the Hundred of Pest the people were transplanted from Ófalu to the area next to the road to Pest in 1806, which is the current place of the village. This new chess-boarded settlement was designed by an engineer and had large ground-plots and wide streets. 260 houses had been built in Új Csanád by 1819.
In the middle of the 19th century due to the beginning of the drainage the size of plough-lands increased. The residents could buy high-quality land in low price, which led to the enrichment of some families. This was the time of the beginning of the immigration of Catholic people on a large scale. According to the place-name act published in 1898 the name of the village was changed from Csanád to Érsekcsanád.
In the World War I and II a great number of soldiers of Érsekcsanád bled for their country. Their names are preserved by the war memorial in front of the parish hall and the cross in front of the Catholic church.
In the 70's houses were built one after the other which led to the building of new streets and block of houses at the southern, northern and later at the eastern part of the village. The adopted roads were covered with hard surface and an industrial park was established at the southern part of the village.
Today we are the spectators of the growing of the village in beauty. Some playgrounds were built in public places and the streets are decorated with ornamental trees and flower beds in recent years.
The leisure park, built at the western part of the village, provides the opportunity of swimming, sports and cooking for visitors. In summer, it is the place where open-air events, such as the Fish Frying Festival and the Village Day, are held.